1. Domain transfer can take up to 8 days to complete. The exact timeframe depends on the domain’s TLD and the time required for your current registrar to complete the transfer process.
2. Domain Transfer will NOT affect your website, email, and any services connected to your domain name. A Registrar is only responsible for your domain records management.
3. There are 4 types of Domain Transfer:
a. Transfer In
You already registered a domain name with another Registrar, and you would like to transfer the registration and DNS management to Shinjiru. This process will maintain all relevant data regarding the domain name and the Registrant.
b. Transfer Out
The registered domain name with Shinjiru will be transferred away to another Registrar. When the transfer is in process, domain name will be auto set to locked (details updates is prohibited) and the DNS management will no longer be available with Shinjiru. Prior to any transfer, we recommend you do check DNS Records if they are set correctly.
c. Internal Transfer
A registered domain name with Shinjiru will be transferred from one Shinjiru’s client account to a different Shinjiru’s client account. This is usually done for the sole purpose of site and DNS management by hired developers.
d. Domain Ownership Transfer
A registered domain name with Shinjiru will be legally transferred to a new owner, where the Registrant and business information will be changed. This is the only type of transfer that moves all legal rights and claims of domain ownership from one person or entity to another.
Steps to Transfer TLD Domain to Shinjiru
- Verify that your domain is eligible for transfer:
- The domain must have been registered or transferred more than 60 days;
- The domain must be unlocked (status shown in Whois should be OK or Active);
- Make sure that Whois ID Protection option is disabled so that domain details is shown in Whois.
- Make sure that you can access the Admin Contact email address. This is necessary because domain transfer approval email will be sent to this email address for you to click on Approve link for transfer to proceed.
- Make sure you obtain Auth/EPP code (also known as transfer secret) from your current registrar.
- Please remember that a domain transfer does not imply automatic DNS change. The nameservers for your domain will remain the same after the transfer and are not automatically changed to Shinjiru DNS. If your domain is using the default DNS of your previous registrar, they will delete the domain from their DNS zone shortly after the transfer completion which will result in downtime of your website and/or email. If you are using third-party nameservers (i.e., the ones provided by your host), there should be no interruption to your services.
- Please be aware that once a domain transfer is initiated, it will not be possible to update the domain's nameservers. If you need to perform any urgent DNS changes, make sure you do it before the transfer starts. Otherwise, you will be able to do it only upon the transfer completion.
- If your domain name has expired with your previous registrar, you must reactivate it with them first. Please do not transfer it within 45 days of the previous expiration date. According to ICANN, the domain will be renewed for 1 year by the new registrar, but the reactivation year added to your domain by the previous registrar will be revoked. You may also lose renewal fees paid to the previous registrar.