Knowledgebase: Email Hosting
Transfer / Move Email Contents (IMAP)
Posted by on 06 May 2015 09:38 AM
Below is the guide on how you can easily transfer and move your email contents from a IMAP email account to another email contents or email accounts (IMAP). These steps can vary depending on the email client used.
1. Download and install an email client that supports IMAP. For this tutorial, we will be using Thunderbird. However, any modern email client will work.
2. Set up the client to connect to your email account via IMAP.
3. Once the email account has been setup and your "Inbox" has been downloaded, you will want to "subscribe" to this email account.
Subscribing to the email account will ensure you also download all of the subfolders you may have created for this account.
4. Set up another IMAP email account using the same email client to connect to your new service using the same steps from above.
5. Copy all of your emails from your old to your new email account by selecting all emails within the Inbox folder and dragging them to the new account.
Repeat for each subfolder as well. As stated earlier, copying can take some time. If time is an issue please do this incrementally until all mail has been transferred. After all steps are compelete, you can freely remove the older email account from your email client.